Singing Down the Storm . . . Graduation Day 2016

What an unexpected ending to a beautiful graduation! Thank you to the family members who ran onstage to rescue diplomas that were in danger of being blown away and helped get them into the heavy bags (wisely brought by our diploma artist, Leila). And thank you to everyone who sang Miquon In Our Hearts louder and louder as the storm blew stronger and stronger, with our graduates onstage just as determined to keep Fields of Childhood going in blended harmony with the crowd. Equally undauntable, our fifth graders did their kazoo rendition of Pomp and Circumstance, despite the impossibility of having the 6th graders’ make the dignified exit we had rehearsed. If we have ever wondered about the ability of our kids and their families to deal with the unexpected, we need wonder no longer.

In the midst of the rain and general hubbub that followed the end of the ceremony, I tried to say goodbye and wish a joyful summer to each of our students, but I think I probably missed some. So this is the best I can do. Folks, you have been a wonderful group all year. We’ve accomplished a lot together, enjoyed laughter and silliness as well as serious times, and you’ve all grown in more ways than can be catalogued here. To the ones who are moving on, I hope you’ll all share a lot of Miquon spirit and your own distinctive qualities in your next school — starting on the day you arrive. As several people said in their speeches, reaching out to others is a good way to establish yourself in a new place. Remember to arrange a visit when your schedule allows. To the ones who are coming back to our building in September, we’re looking forward to your return as the Class of 2017. As you have already said, you have some goals and some specific things that you are looking forward to in anticipation of your final year at Miquon. We’re eager to help you make your plans and hopes into reality. Have a wonderful summer, everyone!